Saturday, April 24, 2010

Credo: Intro

Over the past couple of weeks, I have thought deeply about my faith. About what exactly do I believe in this religion called Christianity. The more and more I think, the more and more I realize: I know so much theology, I can give any answer. Thus, in order to help me articulate my thoughts, and hopefully have some discussion about them, I am starting a series on what I believe. I don't know how frequent the updates will be- my life is hectic and while I enjoy blogging, it is not on the top of my priority list at the moment. Despite this, I plan to see this through. Hopefully, somebody out there will actually read this, and comment- the point really is to have some good discussion.

So, to start out, I think I'll kick it old-school:

I believe in one God,
the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth
and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only-begotten Son of God,
begotten of His Father before all worlds,
God of God, Light of Light,
very God of very God,
begotten, not made,
being of one substance with the Father,
by whom all things were made;
who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven
and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary
and was made man;
and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate.
He suffered and was buried.
And the third day He rose again according to the Scriptures
and ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of the Father.
And He will come again with glory to judge both the living and the dead,
whose kingdom will have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord and giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified,
who spoke by the prophets.
And I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church,
I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins,
and I look for the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.


5 comments:

  1. This is most certainly True! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is the feast of the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council, which was responsible for most of this.

    I've always found it ironic that the Reformation accepted the specifically Roman Catholic, Frankish/Hildebrandine Papist recension of the Creed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orrologion-

    thank you for commenting on my humble blog! I have seen yours, and I enjoy it.

    Sorry for not replying quicker- I have been busy in life.
    While I have come to conclusion that the addition of the filioque should not have been added without the approval of an Ecumencial Council, I have yet to find disagreement the theology of the Double Procession of the Spirit. I am currently looking into the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apart from the obviously serious theological and doctrinal issues, it is the irony that is indeed quite noteworthy. But is some respects it is all too predictable as the reformation remained stuck in western categories of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apophatically Speaking-

    thank you for your comment! Again, I am sorry I took so long to reply. Life is hectic, and I blog when I can ^^;

    Could you perhaps expand on your thought? :
    "Apart from the obviously serious theological and doctrinal issues, it is the irony that is indeed quite noteworthy. But is some respects it is all too predictable as the reformation remained stuck in western categories of thought. "

    ReplyDelete